Since it is an automatic process, it is subject to errors you might find in this page. The O.C.R. ratio for this document is 89
of the greatest importance, forming an ail but lost link between the cultures of northern and southern California. After the death of Dona Ascension at the end of January, 1930, Mr. Harrington spent some weeks in checking up on the information in every way possible, copying from the archives at San Juan Mission, working at the Bancroft Library at Berkeley, Calif., and interviewing many individuals, and returned to Washington in April, since which time he has been engaged in preparing a report on the work for publication.
Dr. F. H. H. Roberts, jr., archeologist, devoted thé fiscal year to a number of activities. July, August, and the first part of September, 1929, were spent conducting excavations at the Long H Ranch, between St. Johns and Houck, in eastern Arizona. The work was begun in May and continued through June of the preceding fiscal year, so that the investigations extending from July to the middle of September were a continuation of work already under way. At the completion of the summer's work the remains of three different types of houses had been uncovered. These included 18 pit houses, the vestiges of three jacal (pole and mud) structures, and a pueblo ruin with 49 rooms, and 4 kivas or circular ceremonial rooms.
The pit houses were found to correspond in many respects with those dug up by Doctor Roberts in the Chaco Canyon, in northwestern New Mexico, during the summer of 1927 and described in Bulletin 92 of the Bureau of American Ethnology. The jacal houses were found to have been quite comparable to a similar type found in southern Colorado during the field season of 1928. The latter were extensively described in Bulletin 96 of the bureau. The pueblo revealed an unusually clear-cut story of the growth and changes in a communal dwelling. The building had not been erected according to a preconceived plan but had grown by degrees through the addition of new units. It was quite evident that such additions had taken place at four different periods in the occupation of the building.
Doctor Roberts returned to Washington in October. The autumn months were devoted to reading and correcting